I was, and still am to some degree, honestly worried about this time of year, the time between Thanksgiving and New Years, when it came to my job search. The natural assumption is that hiring managers and recruiters begin to check out during the holidays, but perhaps the reality is that people are trying to execute some last minute hires before the new budget kicks in. That’s certainly what I’ve been reading. For those of us looking for work, it’s time to hunker down and really beat out the competition. Answer those calls & emails, continue to look for opportunities and be more responsive than those that may be checked out.
Here is what I plan to do:
- Network like crazy. Send out inmails through LinkedIn, reach out to your direct network, just talk to as many people as possible.
- Use holiday parties with friends to your advantage! This is a great opportunity to network with those who really know you.
- Apply, follow up, and reach out. Applying to jobs is just part of the strategy. If it’s something you really want, now is the time to follow up on those opportunities that either fizzled out earlier in the year or that seem to be taking a long time to hire for.
- Be on call. Return calls, emails, and messages promptly! Get in there before everyone really wants to do nothing but sit back and enjoy that tin of cookies that they received from a partner agency!
- Apply to new work. Perhaps, something will move quicker than other opportunities have simply due to timing. Hold out hope, and apply like crazy…to the jobs you want of course!
Good luck & go get em!
P.S. Here are some expert opinion pieces you might enjoy: