There are so many new things happening in digital, and I have to be honest and say that I miss working with people in the know.
Most aspects of today’s marketing hinge on digital, but it has become a kind of “word of the day.” So let’s break it down and then see what all the new cool advances are.
Digital Marketing 101: It all stems from the web. It is then parlayed into how your website functions on a mobile device and how well your website is found via search engines and PPC (i.e. SEM), hence…how well it is optimized. But, before we go any further, here is a quick reference.
In essence, “Digital Marketing encompasses all the activities a business conducts via the worldwide web with the aim of attracting new business, retaining current business and continuing to develop and evolve its brand identity.” Which really truly is most of what we marketers do all day, for the exception of maybe sending out flyers…although in some aspect that could fall into a sub bucket of digital as you are more than likely hoping that people will come back to your website to either purchase, download, or learn more about your product or service.
One major advantage of digital, or online, marketing is that everything is traceable. You can see how your website is doing, where your web traffic is coming from, the level of engagement customers have with your website, what the conversion factor is and most importantly of all, what marketing initiatives are paying off the most!
Digital Marketing Advances: So what’s “hot” right now that might be useful for you to at a minimum look into? Well, none of it is rocket science but it’s good to get a pulse check and make sure that the things you think might work, are actually what some experts say will as well.
Below I highlight the portions of the article I think might get you the most bang for your buck, regardless of the kind of business you are running, B2B or B2C:
- Facebook Look Alike Audiences – “Let’s say you have an email marketing database over 5,000 contacts and are in the heating and cooling industry. You can upload this onto Facebook’s advertising platform and target the EXACT demographic similar to your existing customers!” (This one is news to me and I think it’s pretty darn clever.)
- Email marketing – “According to econsultancy.com, email marketing remains the best digital channel for ROI. Start strategizing heavily as to how you will make this for of online marketing work for you business in 2015!”
- Blogging – “We like to refer to blog content as the match that starts the fire. When you write a compelling blog, it has the potential to rank well organically in the search engines.”
- YouTube (owned by Google) – “By implementing videos into your online marketing mix, you can start to get search engine exposure for the videos that you upload onto YouTube! There are a lot of great tricks to obtain more video SEO Exposure. Choosing a proper title tag, uploading a transcript and embedding the YouTube video are just some of the tricks for optimal SEO exposure.”
- Content Contribution – “If you want your content to be seen by more eyeballs and gain more exposure, start contributing content to other blogs in similar fields.”
- Digital PR – “You can build off of the content contribution by implementing a Digital PR strategy. If you reach out to various media related websites and send them over a solid pitch, they might just write an article on your company or feature your CEO in a blog post.”
As you may notice, I did not include SEO on here…I would assume, hopefully accurately, that this is a no brainer if you want to succeed in digital marketing. So focus on your title tags, meta descriptions, new content, alt tags, and link building and drive your SEO rankings up!