I read a really great article that probably didn’t even need to be read. I say that not because it was useless but because the title says it all. Are You Too Busy Chopping (Marketing) Wood to Sharpen Your (Marketing Operations) Ax?
After those first 90 days are over, those of us who are lucky enough to be in management are constantly asking ourselves, how do we stand out? how do we not take on the baggage and stay above water? how do we continue being those thought leaders we were hired to be? The author of the above linked article has some easy steps that I will take note of and wanted to share:
1. Focus on impact vs. activity:
- Which business outcome does this activity support?
- Do you know how this activity is expected to move the needle for the business outcome?
- How will you know whether the activity had the desired impact?
2. Make metrics count:
- How is Marketing having an impact on and contributing to the business?
- What is and isn’t working?
- Does the data enable course adjustments?
3. Embrace insights:
- Purposefully collect and analyze your data.
- Establish a data infrastructure.
- Implement a process for collecting and using data on a regular basis.
4. Run marketing like a business:
- Ensure marketing strategies are executed seamlessly
- Create, manage, and track marketing processes
- Analyze and develop metrics to improve effectiveness and reduce inefficiencies
4 quick steps to success! Good luck and keep that ax sharpened!