I can take no credit for the below tips as they came from an article by Jack and Suzy Welch that I saw on LinkedIn titled, 10 Leadership Lessons You Don’t Want to Learn the Hard Way. I’m sure it’s too late on some of these for some of us but let’s recap and learn something together.
1. You company’s values and your values must be compatible.
2. Differentiation breads meritocracy. Sameness breeds mediocrity.
3. In a performance culture, actions have to have consequences – positive or negative.
4. Creating an environment of candor and trust is a must.
5. Attracting, developing and retaining world-class talent is your never-ending job.
6. You must distinguish between coachable development needs in your people and fatal flaws.
7. Simple, consistent, focused communications travel faster and are understood better by the organization.
8. There is nothing more developmental and illuminating than dealing with adversity.
9. Over time, you have to develop a real generosity gene – and love to see each person on your team earn raises, get promotions and grow personally.
10. Continuous learning is critical for success – make it a priority.