Do you want exceptional employees? Who doesn’t? The managers that I have worked with have all surrounded themselves with people who are strong in their skill set and are also flexible enough to adapt to any changes that may occur.
But, let’s say you have a new and green employee working for you, let’s say they are an intern or even a recent grad. What can you do to train them to not only succeed in your work environment but also succeed in their career and be truly exceptional? Well, thank you INC online who wrote an article about training your employees to be exceptional. Their five tips are:
1. Teach Skills Not Traits –>Love this one, traits are specific to one manager while skills can take you across various platforms
2. Teach the Appropriate Skill
3. Reinforce and Support the Skill–>I encourage courses, if they are appropriate, to always be on top of your skills.
4. Implement Skill-Based Metrics
5. Consistently Measure Progress
So, will you implement these with your employees who need a bit of coaching?
What did you do today?