We all wonder why we didn’t get a call back after either sending in our resume to a job we thought we’d be perfect for or after interviewing and thinking we did awesome. So what’s the reason? Well, the information I am going to share with you is pretty obvious but sometimes we get so caught up in sending out resumes that we forget about some of the basics.
1. Follow Up: Always follow up after an interview with a thank you note or call. Or, if you are just wondering about where you are after sending in a resume, do some sleuthing and find out who the HR manager might be and contact him/her directly.
2. Sell Yourself: The interview is your chance to sell your brand. Tell them why they need you and what you can offer in terms of skills. You might even consider bringing in some sample work to set yourself apart from the competition.
3. You Just May Not Have Been the “Right” Fit: And the “right” fit they were looking for may have been someone from the inside who knows not only how to do the work but also knows the ins and outs of the company. In this case, there’s really nothing you can do.
4. Be Excited! Make sure to show enthusiasm for the role and the company. If you come in sad and unenthusiastic then you may be perceived as a loner and someone who may just leave the moment they are hired.
5. Listen, Listen, Listen. Listen to what the interviewer is saying, this way when you ask questions you can refer back to a specific point he or she said. This may result in him or her thinking you are very detail oriented!
6. Think About Relevant Stories to Share. You will be asked to talk about yourself and maybe even asked, “Tell me something about you that’s not on the resume.” Be prepared to tell a story that is relevant to your skills, nobody cares that you enjoy pets, unless you are applying for a veterinary position.
7. Be Natural. Just be yourself, on a good day. Don’t rehearse your stories or what you’ll talk about exactly. Just be ready to talk naturally and confidently about yourself and your skills.
Did you cover the basics in your last interview?
What did you do today?
P.S. Here is the article I used as inspiration for today’s blog entry, 7 Surprising Reasons You Didn’t Get a Call Back for That Job.
P.P.S. 60 Minutes had a great story about The 99ers last night. Check out the article and video to find out more.